News and Announcements
July 22nd, 2020 Update: SPAC Board of Directors is currently working on COVID-19 Return to Sport policy and guidelines. At this time registration for 20/21 season has been delayed, please check back for registration details coming soon!
Hello SPAC Athletes and Parents,
On behalf of the SPAC Board, I hope that you and your family are finding your way through the COVID-19 Pandemic and all of its associated challenges. We are hoping that the recent changes to the direction from public health agencies will mean that you can start working towards a new normal. For us on the board, we have been meeting over the past couple of months to chart a path forward for the club. As you are aware the rules and recommendations put forth by the Provincial Health Officer are constantly changing depending on how the pandemic evolves and as such we won’t be able to make final statements regarding programs until closer to the ski season.
We are optimistic that we will be able to return to some form of regular operations next ski season. This will likely come with some new rules and best practices, but we have teams already starting on plans to make this happen. What this fully means for next year…it’s too soon to say but rest assured we are on it.
That being said, we have already made the decision to freeze our program fees. We hope that committing to this well in advance of the season may help you and your family to make some plans around your winter activities. We want to see you back at Sun Peaks! In the coming weeks, you will see a survey from us to help determine approximate registration numbers for next year. This information will help us with planning and hiring so please take a few minutes to fill it out when you see it.
Stay tuned for more upcoming news, and I hope that you’re finding time for hiking, mountain biking and other great family activities to keep you busy.
Dear SPAC Members,
In these rapidly challenging times the Board of Directors, Program Director and Coaches want to make the best decisions possible for you and your athletes. Over the past week our world has been adapting to and reacting to the realities surrounding us. SPAC is no different and we need to make good decisions for our club.
SPAC is working with the resort and local authorities to monitor the spread and developments with respect to COVID-19 (Coronavirus) carefully. As always, our main objective in the program is safety, and we are approaching Coronavirus in the same manner.
In accordance with guidance we have reviewed from Health Canada, until further notice, program activities will continue as scheduled, as the risk of infection at this point in time is deemed to be "low”, this may change rapidly, however, and we will advise you if any developments effect our operations.
We would ask that you do the following so that we can keep team activities safe:
- Now and always during cold and flu season, stay home if you are sick. Encourage those you know who are sick to stay home until they no longer have symptoms. If you or a family member is feeling sick, seek medical advice, and do not go to a SPAC event.
- If you or someone you have come in contact with have symptoms or a confirmed case of Coronavirus, please advise your coaches and SPAC as soon as possible.
- Practice frequent hand hygiene and coughing/sneezing etiquette, and please emphasize this with SPAC athletes.
- If you have traveled to a region that has had high rates of infection of Coronavirus, you can reduce the risk of spreading infection by following prevention measures when returning to Canada, including self-isolation in accordance with Health Canada guidelines. We would also ask that you report any such travels to SPAC.
The ski conditions are still phenomenal, although we are adjusting our ski program we look forward to seeing everyone over the next couple weeks. Although we are having to adjust our schedule, the programming is still focused on fun and learning. Please watch your inbox as we will be updating frequently.
Here are some useful and informative links on the subject:
Important Announcement March 12th 5pm
Due to ongoing health concerns surrounding the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), in consultation with Alpine Canada, BC Alpine, and health authorities we are making the tough decision to cancel the Hub International Nancy Greene Festival planned at Sun Peaks on March 20th and 21st. Thank you for your patience as we have been trying to keep up with the latest developments.
A lot of effort has gone into organizing this event and we know that everyone has made reservations and plans to be at Sun Peaks for the Festival.
For those who still plan to travel and turn it into a fun family weekend – the conditions are fantastic! Give us a few days and we will see what options are available on the hill for families still planning to travel, and will communicate those to all of the club contacts.
We look forward to seeing you at Festival next year!!!
Sun Peaks Racers are excited to help host the 2020 U16 Canadian Alpine Nationals from March 9 to 14. We will be welcoming talented skiers from all across Canada in this jam-packed week of skiing. They will be racing head to head in their respective categories of Super-G, Giant Slalom, and Ski Cross for the top spots in the country. This is sure to be an event not to be missed!
To Volunteer for this event contact Karen Cowburn 604-240-2711